domingo, 13 de julho de 2014

ON THIN ICE - Ciril Jazbec


ON THIN ICE is a series of photos from Greenland and one of the chapters in a long-term project concerned with the human face of climate change as it threatens various low-lying regions. 
It shows the life of hunters and fishermen in the remote villages in Northern Greenland. 
In this exploration, I spent most of my time in the village with only 250 inhabitants but over 500 dogs.

One of the main characters of the story is Unnartoq, one of the last remaining people sticking to tradition and living as subsistence hunters.
I don’t speak Unnartoq’s language, so hand gestures and honesty become an even more important factor of communication than usual. For a European, the conditions in Greenland are extreme; low temperatures require one to be exceptionally strong-willed, and will to live is what has always driven the traditional hunters to survive. However, the daily life of these hunters is changing due to climate change, unpredictable weather, higher temperatures, and the resulting thin ice.

The sea used to be frozen for eight months a year, but nowadays it only freezes for few months, threatening the traditional methods of seal hunting.
The story also touches upon globalization worming its way into every nook and cranny of the world, as well as upon global interconnectedness driving youth away from tradition and self-sufficiency.
In Greenland as well, young people are moving to the cities, self-sufficient hunters are disappearing and a 1000-year tradition of hunting and survival in the most extreme of conditions is being forgotten.

Different eyes perceive different sensations and actions, and how one interprets a visual story is mostly the result of inner emotions.
I strive to use photography to tell a story that is reflected through a single person, through his own eyes.

On thin ice will be exhibited at The Rencontres d'Arles in France this summer.



I work as an independent freelance photographer.
I have received the Leica Oskar Barnack Award 2013 with the photo story called “Waiting to Move”.
I believe my profession is about hard work, passion and love.
And nature, if possible.
I am grateful for the privilege of being able to pursue this profession that I enjoy immensely.
-
The harmony that I pursue stems from somewhere in between.


Climate changes - Intimate feelings
“I grew up surrounded by nature, by its authenticity and brutality.
I assumed nature’s graphic style – strong contrasts, clean lines, multilevelness.
I feel overwhelmed by nature.
By the climate changes it has been showing.
By our primal feelings, directing us into the closest intimacy possible.


Tradition - Modernity 
“How do traditional communities live?
How is their tradition facing the modern world?
How can my story become inspiring?
How to create a positive, constructive story?
How to identify possible solutions?
I want to show the world things such as gratitude, solidarity, respect.
These things give me drive.
Searching for hope that illustrates changes.”

Technique - A moment
"The technical side of photography is very important to me.
I always try everything my equipment is able to perform and I always wait for the best capturing moment, of course.
Intuition."


The consistency of one story - The dynamics between stories
“I always jumped from project to project.
Now I feel it is time for long-term stories.
I challenge myself with consistency,
I experiment with the pace.”


Personal projects - Commercial projects
“It is important for me to find a good balance.
Personal projects are an inner journey and an inspiration,
the commercial are an exceptional blend of interesting people and dynamics causing the birth of magic.”


I was born in Slovenia (1987).
I studied management at the Faculty of Economics, before moving to London where I studied MA Photojournalism and Documentary Photography at the London College of Communication where I graduated in 2011.


Awards

2014 – American Photography 30, Selected Winner
2014 – FIPCOM - Environment category, Winner
2014 – MAGNUM 30 under 30, Shortlisted
2014 – LensCulture Exposure Awards, Finalist
2013 – Les Rencontres d'Arles - Photo Folio Review, Winner
2013 – Leica Oskar Barnack Award, Winner Newcomer
2013 – Eddie Adams Workshop, National Geographic Award
2013 – VISA Pour L’Image - Coup de coeur ANI
2012 – PDN Photo Annual - Student Work, Winner
2012 – AOP Student Awards, Finalist
2012 – Picture The Difference, Winner
2012 – The Royal Photographic Society - Environmental Bursary, Winner


Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário