quarta-feira, 20 de novembro de 2013

Existential Bummer

                                           

"Man is literally split in two: he has an awareness of his own splendid uniqueness in that he sticks out of nature with a towering majesty, and yet he goes back into the ground a few feet in order blindly and dumbly to rot and disappear forever" 
-Ernest Becker

Join Jason Silva every week as he freestyles his way into the complex systems of society, technology and human existence and discusses the truth and beauty of science in a form of existential jazz.

New episodes every Tuesday.

Watch More Shots of Awe on TestTube http://testtube.com/shotsofawe

"People often ask me about the 'inspiration' behind my videos... and I suppose it really stems from a desire to somehow "capture' or 'bottle' a kind of ecstatic communion with beauty, with awe, with wonder, with melancholy... to create "immortal" moments-- to remind myself to remember the rhapsodies and ecstasies that are often so fleeting... to deconstruct and reconstruct rapture itself.

Alain de Botton's book "Religion for atheists" talks about the need to create mediated experiences for non-believers to experience the transcendent.
Using what Eliade called "technologies of ecstasy", we elicit encounters with something larger than ourselves, epic contexts to shake us out of our stupor...

I suppose for me cinema is the last altar left...
I love "mediated experiences"-- I'm addicted to "aesthetic arrest"-- and summoning these experiences, conditioning these ecstasies thru my videos, is my antidote to existential despair. Its my way of impregnating the world with meanings and significations.
It is how I 'sing" with rapture.

As Coleridge wrote, its about "awakening the mind's attention from the lethargy of custom" and thrust it towards the numinous."

Jason silva

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário