quinta-feira, 21 de julho de 2022

Tale of a Former Black Sheep


Rob Tol







For years I wore
your shame as my own
and lived unknown
in terror of being seen
like a leper
self-quarantined
intrinsically unclean

Your neglect
became to me
my insignificance
undeserving of your glance

Your abuse
became to me
my fault and utter blame
my soiled but rightful name 

Your abandonment
to me
was my unworthiness
unfit and valueless

'Til this layered shame became
a camouflaging cloak
wrapped about with care
disguising me as if
I wasn't even there

How I avoided them
my friends so true
for they could plainly see
the agony in me
and I couldn't control
it radiating through

Yet butterflies won't stay bound
in crippling cocoons
integrity impugned
by wings that cannot fly-
and I at last have found
the answer to my wounds
in exposing you
and all your lies

You were cruel-
I do matter

You were guilty-
I am not to blame

You were unfit-
I am worthy

You nearly destroyed me-
But I overcame

Now my only dread is
of leaving this world
as un-notably as I came
as invisibly as I lived
to be known only 
by others
as unredeemed as
you thought me to be-
No! the truth
will set me free...

I humbly give
this cloak to you
it was yours to wear
not mine to share

I'm through

I'm through

I'm through.


Rhona McFerran 




Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário