From infidelity to financial secrecy to self-betrayal, what happens when the ground beneath us no longer holds?
Shall We Begin?
There are certain words that stop a conversation the moment they are spoken.
“Betrayal” is one of them.
The word arrives carrying its own verdict.
We hear it and immediately begin arranging the familiar pieces: an affair, a lie, a broken promise. But underneath it all, betrayal is a violation of trust. From a relational perspective, it’s a broken agreement, spoken or unspoken. Betrayal often leaves people feeling like the rug has been ripped out from under their feet. I thought I knew this person. I thought I knew our relationship. Now, I doubt everything—not just the future, but the past.
Infidelity has been one of the main forms of betrayal I have focused on in my work.
Few experiences so abruptly divide life into a before and an after. But, this summer, as we’ve listened to the couples on Where Should We Begin?, and responded, via Ask Esther, to letter-writers looking for answers to their own relational dilemmas, it’s clear that betrayal has echoes far beyond affairs.
What comes to mind when you hear the word “betrayal”?
One person described betrayal as a heart attack. Another called it an infection. Someone wrote that it is the absence of a willingness to find our way back to one another. Another wondered if the deepest betrayal is the betrayal of the self. And one thoughtful member of our community challenged the word altogether, asking whether “betrayal” is sometimes a judgment rather than an understanding.
I found myself nodding at every response.
Each person was describing a different landscape: Different relationships. Different losses. Different histories. And yet they were all pointing toward the same human experience:
the moment something we depended on no longer holds.
Perhaps that is why betrayal hurts so profoundly.
Yes, trust has been broken, but it’s also a wake up call that certainty is often an illusion.
- We lose confidence in “our person” and in our own perception.
- We feel foolish, heartbroken, and a noxious mix of emotions that go beyond anger and sadness into something altogether debilitating, destabilizing.
- Add “dissociative” to that mix, and you get the point.
We begin revisiting conversations, memories, and decisions wondering,
What did I miss? What else don’t I know?
The wound is not only relational. It is existential.
This is why my interest has never been only in affairs, but in the meaning we attach to them.
In reading your letters and comments, I’ve heard the stories you inherited about loyalty and love; the silent agreements you never knew you had made; the ways your families teach you what can be spoken, what must remain hidden, and what you should and should not expect from intimacy itself.
Once you begin looking closely, betrayal appears in places we rarely name.
As I look ahead to what we’ve planned for August, I’m hearing how
- Betrayal can live in a hidden bank account or undisclosed debt, in financial secrecy that reorganizes a relationship for years before anyone discovers it.
- Betrayal can exist in institutions that promise safety but abandon us when we need them most.
- It can show up in families that ask us to swear ourselves to silence as a condition of belonging.
- It can rear its head in the moments when we abandon ourselves—one of the most painful types of betrayal there is.
This month, I’d like to continue widening this conversation.
We’ll explore financial betrayal, not simply as a matter of dollars and cents, but as a story about trust, dependence, autonomy, power, secrecy, and bankruptcy. Because money, like sex, is rarely just about money. And, just as we’ve been exploring big questions all summer long, we’ll continue asking them with real life stories on the podcast.
Questions such as:
- I Love My Partner, So Why Can’t I Let Go of My Ex?
- Am I Being Gaslit?
- Can I Be Loved?
- Will I Always Be Alone?
I’ve often said that therapy is less about providing answers than it is about asking better questions.
Let’s Turn the Lens on You
Betrayal takes many forms.
Think of a time when the ground shifted beneath you.
Before you revisit what happened, ask yourself:
What certainty did I lose?
Sometimes the answer isn’t about another person; it’s a belief, an expectation, or a story you once told yourself about love, family, work, or who you were.
Now ask yourself:
What was broken? Was it trust? An expectation? A shared agreement?
What was spoken? What was unspoken and assumed?
How did your experience of betrayal change things for you?
Focus first on the negative. Get it all out.
Then consider:
Were there any positive changes that came from the ground shifting beneath you?
What did you learn that you took with you into your next chapter?
Esther Perel
Sem comentários:
Enviar um comentário