How family expectations
quietly become identity
A young man sat across from me and told me he no longer wanted to live.
As a psychiatrist, I hear those words more often than I wish I did. People arrive at them through depression, addiction, psychosis, grief, trauma, the collapse of a marriage, the loss of work, and many other forms of suffering. His story remained with me for a reason I did not understand immediately.
For years I have written about violence against women. I know what happens when a girl’s life is shaped by someone else’s power before she is old enough to understand what has been taken from her. Listening to him, I found myself thinking about a different kind of captivity. Nobody had beaten him or locked him in a room, yet very little of the life he described seemed to have been chosen by him.
The man in this essay is a composite of several patients whose stories began to echo one another so closely that the pattern became more important than the identifying details, which will remain private. He could have been in his late twenties, thirty-five, or forty-five. His age mattered less than the familiarity of what emerged once he began talking.
His family would probably have described a life in which almost everything was going well.
He had an education, a respectable profession, a marriage, parents he remained close to, and the dependable reputation of a son who answered when they called. Somewhere along the way, he had learned that keeping other people comfortable belonged to his understanding of what made a good man. Nothing about his life would have immediately frightened anyone.
That was part of what frightened me.
The obvious explanations were all available.
His marriage was failing. He was depressed. Work had become another source of pressure. His treatment might have needed to change. Had I known him only through a referral note, I might have begun there as well. Once we spoke, however, I could not stop thinking about the fact that everyone around him seemed intent on returning him to the life he had just told me he could no longer survive.
I found myself wondering when he had last made an important decision because it was genuinely his. Nothing in his chart answered that question, and I was not sure he could answer it either. For years he had moved through milestones that brought relief and approval to the people around him, until wanting something different had become almost impossible to imagine.
By the time he reached the hospital, every recent event seemed capable of explaining his despair. Each one was real, but none felt like the beginning. They seemed closer to the point at which a much older story could no longer hold together.
His wish to die was devastating, but I left the room carrying another question with me.
Had anyone ever been as curious about the life he wanted as they were about the life they wanted him to return to?
The Box
Very few boys grow up hearing, “You are not allowed to become yourself.”
Families are usually far more loving than that, and far more complicated.
Expectations arrive quietly, woven into ordinary life.
A parent recommends a profession because it promises security. An uncle praises practicality. A grandmother worries that he is too sensitive for the world. He is reminded not to disappoint the family or throw away a perfectly good opportunity. None of those moments seems especially important on its own. Years later, however, they no longer sound like opinions. They sound like the only reasonable life.
That is what makes this kind of prison so difficult to recognize.
It is usually built by people who genuinely love the child inside it. They want him to be safe. Fear simply teaches them to confuse safety with certainty.
Slowly it begins speaking in the language of wisdom, responsibility, and common sense until curiosity almost disappears. Instead of wondering who this particular boy might become, the family begins hoping he will become someone they already know how to protect.
Children adapt long before adults realize they are adapting.
They notice which emotions make a parent anxious, which opinions create tension, which dreams are welcomed, and which quietly disappear from conversation.
Over time they become remarkably skilled at preserving the emotional balance of the family, often without recognizing that they are giving up parts of themselves in the process. Eventually those adaptations stop feeling like adaptations. They feel like personality.
By the time I meet these men, the family often has very little left to say because the conversation has already moved inside. Before a different path has the chance to unfold, another voice is already there warning them not to be selfish, not to make people worry, not to throw away something good after so many people sacrificed for them. After enough years, that voice no longer feels inherited. It sounds like conscience.
This is usually the point at which they arrive in my office, although depression, panic, burnout, or even a suicidal crisis are rarely the real beginning of the story. They are the consequences of years spent becoming exceptionally good at meeting expectations while gradually losing contact with themselves. When I ask what they actually want, the answer is often silence. Not because they are unwilling to tell me, but because they no longer know how to separate their own desires from the approval of the people they love.
I sometimes picture it as a boy growing up inside a box built by people who loved him.
The box is large enough while he is small. It gives him direction, protection, and a place in the family. But children keep growing, while the box does not. Eventually he reaches the walls no matter which direction he turns.
What once protected him begins to confine him.The tragedy is that, after living there for so long, he no longer realizes the walls belong to the box rather than to himself.
Every family leaves its imprint.
The problem is not that the box exists. Children need structure before they can build lives of their own.
The problem begins when a man reaches adulthood still believing he must remain inside it.
By then he may mistake inherited obedience for identity, never realizing that the voice he calls his own has been speaking in borrowed words for most of his life.
The Approved Life
The woman beside him was never the whole story, although both he and the people around him often believed she was. When love becomes humiliating or sexual betrayal enters a relationship, the mind naturally searches for the place where everything fell apart. By the time I meet men whose lives have unraveled after a marriage collapses or an affair is discovered, however, I am rarely looking at the beginning of the story.
More often I am looking at the moment when years of accommodation finally become impossible to sustain. The marriage did not create the prison. It simply became the room where the walls could no longer be ignored.
As we continued talking, another pattern emerged.
The marriage belonged to a version of adulthood assembled long before he had enough psychological freedom to ask whether it was truly his. Nothing about it looked obviously wrong. There was a respectable profession, a wife, a home, perhaps children, and the reassuring appearance of a stable future. Parents relaxed. Friends saw someone who had done everything correctly.
That appearance became part of the problem because there was so little external evidence that anything was missing. It is difficult to explain despair when everyone around you keeps pointing to a life they would be grateful to have.
This may be one of the loneliest forms of suffering.
When a life appears successful by every conventional measure, people instinctively search for the flaw in the person rather than in the life itself. He begins doing the same. If this marriage is good, why does it feel empty? If this is the woman he was supposed to want, why does he feel so profoundly unseen? Why does every achievement bring relief to everyone except him?
The questions themselves begin to feel illegitimate because the life producing them has already been approved by everyone whose opinion once mattered.
When betrayal enters a marriage like this, the injury extends far beyond jealousy.
The entire life the man spent years trying to inhabit begins to lose its stability.
The relationship that was supposed to confirm he had finally arrived instead confronts him with another possibility: perhaps he had been performing a life that never truly belonged to him.
Anger may become focused on his wife because she is the most immediate face of that realization, but underneath it I often hear something much older.
There is grief for the years spent living according to someone else’s script, resentment toward the expectations that shaped those choices, and the painful recognition that obedience survived long after childhood had ended.
Visible failure is easier for other people to understand.
Divorce, the loss of a career, financial collapse… those events give suffering a recognizable shape. A life that looks successful while quietly suffocating the person living it is far more difficult to recognize because there is nothing obvious to repair. The instinct of almost everyone nearby is to restore what existed before: reconcile, persevere, return to normal.
Yet if normal was the place where a man gradually disappeared from his own life, returning him there is not healing. It is asking him to resume the performance.
Other men at the door
I asked him to return to the moment he picked up the gun and take me through it second by second. I wanted to understand what he believed had become impossible to continue.
At first, he spoke about his wife.
Friends had told him she had slept with another man they both knew, and the humiliation had become inseparable from everything he had been taught to question about himself after betrayal.
Was he masculine enough? Had another man replaced him?
The affair injured his dignity as a husband, but as he spoke, it became clear that the marriage had exposed an older loss. He had spent years becoming the man others expected and had never considered what it might cost him to surrender authorship of his own life.
The people around him could understand the affair. They knew how a betrayed husband was supposed to suffer and what he was supposed to do next. What unsettled them was that he had begun questioning much more than his wife. His parents wanted him well enough to return to the life they recognized. His friends wanted the conversation brought back to manageable subjects. Even the men who cared about him seemed more comfortable offering solutions than asking what had made that life unbearable.
Another man’s collapse can be difficult to witness because it rarely remains contained within his own story. Once he begins questioning the marriage, work, duty, or endurance that organized his life, other men may find themselves standing too close to questions they have spent years avoiding. The response is often practical and immediate. Go back to work. Train harder. Focus on the children. Stop thinking about it. Stay busy until the feeling passes.
Most of this advice is offered in good faith.
It also serves another purpose. It restores the familiar man before his unrest has a chance to disturb the arrangements around him. If his despair can be reduced to weakness, heartbreak, or temporary confusion, nobody else has to consider whether the same forms of obedience have shaped his own life.
This is one reason the box can survive long after the family has finished building it.
Men reinforce it for one another by treating endurance as character and silence as evidence of strength. A man who speaks plainly about disappointment threatens that understanding. Calling him dramatic, selfish, or unstable protects the belief that those who remained quiet were healthier rather than better adapted to their confinement.
By the time he collapses, his refusal to continue may look like a departure from reality.
Sometimes I hear the opposite.
The life he had managed through accommodation has finally become visible to him, and the people gathered at the door are trying to persuade him not to leave.
The Threshold
His attempt followed another conversation in which decisions about his future were discussed as though they belonged to everyone except the person who would have to live with them. By then, the future had narrowed so completely that he could no longer imagine a legitimate way for the pressure to stop. Death had become less an ending than the only interruption still available to him.
What interested me most was the moment between intention and action.
People often imagine a suicide attempt as one uninterrupted decision, but survivors sometimes describe something less orderly. I have sat with patients who jumped from heights, fired guns, or made other attempts that appeared unequivocal, only to describe a final movement they had not anticipated.
The conscious mind had accepted death while the body still reacted against it.
I do not interpret that reaction as indecision or evidence that the suffering was less serious.It suggests that the wish to end pain and the wish to remain alive can coexist even at the most dangerous point. A person may have lost access to hope while some older, less deliberate part of the body continues to resist extinction.
This is why I am cautious about treating every suicide attempt as a simple wish for death.
Sometimes the person has run out of acceptable ways to leave a life that has become psychologically unlivable.
When marriage, family duty, work, identity, and every idea of being a good man belong to the same structure, abandoning that structure may feel morally indistinguishable from destroying everything connected to it.
By the time he reached the gun, he could imagine destroying himself more easily than dismantling the life that had confined him.
Yet again and again I have listened to survivors describe
a final movement in which the body seemed to recoil before the attempt became lethal. The conscious mind had accepted death. The body had not. That was the threshold I wanted to understand.
The part that still belongs to him
When I told him I believed there was still something healthy inside him, he looked genuinely confused. Like many people who have lived for years under relentless self-condemnation, he assumed I meant the version of himself everyone admired: responsible, agreeable, endlessly accommodating.
That was not the part I meant.
As he described what he called the “demonic” side of himself, I heard something very different. It did not sound like evil. It sounded like a mind governed by an internal authority incapable of mercy. Psychoanalysis calls this a persecutory superego.
The name matters less than the experience.
It is the part of the mind that no longer distinguishes between making a mistake and being one. It has little interest in repair or curiosity. Its language is accusation.
Patients often experience that voice as their own conscience.
I rarely think it began there. More often it is built gradually from fear, shame, rigid expectations, and the belief that love depends on getting everything right. After enough years, its judgments no longer feel borrowed. They feel like truth.
The healthier part of the personality usually speaks much more quietly.
It appears in moments the persecutory voice immediately tries to suppress:
anger that exposes a violated boundary, grief for a life never lived, longing, confusion, even the wish to leave.
Those experiences are not necessarily signs of illness. They may be the first evidence that a person is beginning to distinguish his own mind from the demands that have organized it for years.
That quieter self is the part I look for with my patients.
Not the version that performs wellness or reassures everyone that everything will soon return to normal, but the one that still reacts honestly before adaptation has time to correct it.
I have gradually come to think of psychological health less as obedience than as authorship.
It is the capacity to feel remorse without collapsing into self-hatred, to want something without first asking permission, and to separate from the people we love without experiencing that separation as betrayal.
Recovery cannot mean returning someone to the life that produced the collapse.It begins when a person can finally recognize which voice is his own and which has been speaking through him for so long that he no longer hears the difference.
The book I keep returning to
There is one book I have returned to more than any other.
I first read The Alchemist in my early twenties, and I still find myself opening it after different seasons of my life. The words have not changed. I have. Every disappointment, difficult decision, loss, and unexpected joy has altered the person reading those pages, yet the book somehow continues to meet me there.
People often describe The Alchemist as a story about dreams or courage.
I have never read it that way.
To me, it is a book about remembering.
Paulo Coelho calls it a Personal Legend, the unique life each of us is meant to live before fear, duty, and other people’s expectations persuade us to become someone more acceptable.
Whether a reader understands that psychologically, philosophically, or spiritually matters less than recognizing the tragedy of becoming successful at living someone else’s story.
Perhaps that is why the book has stayed with me for so many years.
The patients I remember most are rarely searching for symptom relief alone. Beneath the anxiety, depression, burnout, or suicidal despair, I often hear another question waiting to be asked.
When did I lose my own life?
That question rarely leaves the rest of a person’s life untouched.
A marriage may change. A career may no longer fit. Even a family can begin reorganizing around a different version of the person they thought they knew.
Therapy cannot promise that none of those things will happen.
That is why I continue returning to The Alchemist.Santiago repeatedly leaves places that promise certainty because he senses that staying would cost him something greater than failure. It would cost him himself.
Therapy is rarely about helping someone function more efficiently inside the box he has outgrown. More often it is helping him discover that the walls were never the limits of his life.
Jung called that process individuation.
Coelho called it a Personal Legend.
I am not especially attached to either term.
I am attached to what they describe because I have watched people slowly come alive when they stop organizing their lives around fear and begin organizing them around something that feels unmistakably their own.
The consequences are rarely gentle.
A marriage may no longer survive it. A career can begin to feel impossible to continue. Families sometimes struggle with the person who emerges because they had grown accustomed to the one who fit comfortably inside the box. Their reaction is understandable.
When one person changes, everyone else is asked to reorganize as well.
Perhaps that is the greatest misunderstanding about freedom.We imagine it should preserve the life we already have. Often it cannot. A box that has become too small cannot simply be redecorated. At some point, the walls have to come down.
That is why I keep returning to The Alchemist.
Not because it promises that becoming yourself will be easy, but because it reminds us there is also a cost to refusing. I have met too many people who believed they wanted to die when what they had really lost was permission to live as themselves.
The voice beneath the noise
There is one thing I have not admitted until now. I have been writing about my patients, but I have also been writing about myself.
This essay began in a room with a man whose life had become unbearable, yet as I listened to him, I realized I had been asking myself many of the same questions for years. Not because our lives were the same. They were not. But because I recognized something familiar in the slow way a person can disappear while continuing to look successful to everyone around them.
For many years, I never questioned the direction my life was taking because it made perfect sense to the people who loved me. I married when marriage was expected. Neurology seemed like the respectable path, the branch of medicine my family could understand and proudly describe to other people, while psychiatry occupied a far less comfortable place in their imagination. At the time, none of those choices felt imposed. They felt reasonable, responsible, almost inevitable. Years later, I could see where all those reasonable decisions had taken me.
I did not leave because I enjoy uncertainty. If anything, I have always loved routine. I become attached to places, to ordinary rituals, to the familiar rhythm of everyday life. Leaving has always cost me deeply. I left one country, then another. Eventually I left a profession that had once defined me, and later a marriage that no longer reflected the person I was becoming. None of those decisions felt triumphant. They felt like dismantling rooms I had spent years trying to build. Looking back, however, I no longer think I was destroying my life. I think I was destroying a box that had gradually become too small for the person growing inside it.
It has taken me years to recognize that pattern, and I still hesitate to describe it because I do not believe suffering is a punishment or that life rewards courage. Reality is more complicated than that. What I cannot ignore is that every period in which I moved further away from the work, the relationships, or the way of living that felt deeply true to me was eventually followed by another fracture. The form was never the same. At different moments it arrived as betrayal, institutional cruelty, moral injury, violence, or losses I could never have imagined beforehand.
I do not believe life was trying to teach me a lesson.
I believe living too far from ourselves eventually carries its own psychological cost.
For most of my life, I believed loyalty meant remaining faithful to the people, commitments, and responsibilities that had shaped me. I am, by nature, an extraordinarily loyal person.
Walking away has never come easily, and every departure has felt like a loss long before it became a beginning. What took me much longer to understand was that loyalty becomes distorted when it is directed everywhere except toward the person who has to live the life.
There are moments when remaining loyal to everyone else’s expectations quietly becomes a betrayal of ourselves.
Perhaps that is why The Alchemist has never really left me.
I understood very little of it when I first read it. Each time I returned, I seemed to find a different book because I was no longer the same person reading it.
What stayed with me was never the treasure at the end of the journey.It was Santiago’s willingness to keep walking after each life he thought would be enough. He keeps leaving certainty behind because, over time, he realizes that becoming the wrong person is a greater loss than beginning again.
The older I become, the less interested I am in helping people build lives that merely look successful. My work has become much quieter than that.
I want to help people recognize the difference between the voice that grew out of fear and the one that has belonged to them all along.
When I think about the man whose story began this essay, I do not find myself wishing him an easier life. I find myself wishing him the freedom to discover which parts of his life were truly his and which had been inherited without ever being questioned.
I think that is what I wish for every patient who has ever sat across from me.
If I am honest, it is also what I continue to wish for myself.
Vera Hart
Sem comentários:
Enviar um comentário